Other holidays repose on the past. Arbor Day proposes the future.
– J. Sterling Morton
- Arbor Day is not like other holidays. Each of those reposes on the past, while Arbor Day proposes for the future. – Julius Sterling Morton
- He who controls the past commands the future. He who commands the future conquers the past. – George Orwell
- For retirement brings repose, and repose allows a kindly judgment of all things. – John Sharp Williams
- The future is the past in preparation. – Pierre Dae
- Consider the past and you shall know the future. – Chinese Proverb