. . . A man of the world amongst men of letters, a man of letters amongst men of the world.
- Thomas Babington
- The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. - Thomas Babington
- Perhaps no person can be a poet, or can even enjoy poetry, without a certain unsoundness of mind. - Thomas Babington
- We know no spectacle so ridiculous as the British public in one of its periodical fits of morality. - Thomas Babington
- There must be millions of people all over the world who never get any love letters. I could be their leader. - Charlie Brown
- A man who publishes his letters becomes a nudistönothing shields him from the world’s gaze except his bare skin. - E. B. White