A sense of humor is the ability to understand a joke and that the joke is oneself.
- Clifton Paul Fadiman
- It is the ability to take a joke, not make one, that proves you have a sense of humor. - Max Eastman
- A taste for irony has kept more hearts from breaking than a sense of humor, for it takes irony to appreciate the joke which is on oneself. - Jessamyn West
- Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. - William James
- One’s first book, kiss, home run is always the best. - Clifton Fadiman
- Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself. - Abraham J. Heschel